Wednesday, November 14, 2007

The Canadian Influence?


As the Canadian dollar keeps rising against the U.S. dollar it is interesting to see the effect on our local Bellingham economy. My favorite stores are packed with Canadian shoppers getting bargains. This stands in stark contrast to six years ago when the Canadian dollar was at about 56 cents to our U.S. dollar. In those days I spent much of my shopping time across the border in Vancouver and had a thriving business brokering deals on horses up in Canada.


In the last two weekends open houses I had several couples stop in from Canada. One retired couple was considering a move down to Bellingham from Vancouver. The other couple was looking to potentially invest in a multifamily rental property. Other agents in my office are seeing more Canadians make offers on area properties. The housing prices in Vancouver make our local prices look reasonable. This coupled with the strong Canadian dollar seems to be bringing buyers down across the border in larger numbers. I say WELCOME Canadians!



No comments: