Thursday, November 27, 2008

Grateful and Greatly Full


As I sit here stuffed from our Thanksgiving dinner, there are so many things I am grateful for this year. I am grateful for my wonderful clients in real estate and dressage training that I have had the opportunity to serve. I am grateful for the health and love of my family. I am grateful for the opportunity to help with the wonderful children that the Medical Advocacy team helps. I am grateful for my wonderful horses and puppies. I am grateful for the strong friendships that I have maintained over the years.


One of my good friends is on my mind today. She has been close to me and I have depended on her for the last 15 years or so. We are very different in many ways, but so very much the same in many others. She took over ownership of my old FEI horse when he was 14. I had owned him for 9 years and often commented that if it came down to choosing between my husband and my beloved horse, the husband would have to go! I had grown to a point in my riding and training that I felt this horse had been pushed as far as he was able to go. My dear friend had suffered two severe accidents with her current horse and needed my equine friend to take her riding up to the next level. My friend owned him for the last 9 years of his life. She rode him to the FEI levels and we both learned so much from him. He was not the prettiest horse, or the most talented. He had a huge heart and an unmatched work ethic. He was truly a case where the total package far, far exceeded the sum of his parts. This dear horse passed on this year. He was buried on the hillside that he loved. I am so grateful to have a friend that took such wonderful care of my old partner to the end. I am so grateful that I had a chance to ride such a wonderful animal.



No comments: