Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Lessons From the Fall


I have always believed that the curve balls that life throws us are meant to be lessons. Sometimes you have to look VERY hard to find a lesson in adversity! Almost two months ago I was bucked off one of my training horses. I will bear scars on my shoulder and hip for the rest of my life. I am still struggling to heal from a torn ligament. What lesson is there in all of this? After much moping and self searching I can only think that I need to learn to not be so STUPID! I often feel obligated to take on work when I really don't have the time. I was raised to believe that I can accomplish anything..... This sense of capability has gotten me far in this life, but it also makes me want to shield others from responsibilities that they should shoulder themselves.


This lesson has been particularly appropriate in my real estate career lately. Virtually every transaction has it's share of struggles and bumps along the way to a successful closing. I have long felt it was my job to insulate my clients from as much of the stress of the home buying or selling process as possible. Some areas of the transaction are outside my capability to fix. I can't make a loan appear when none are available. I can't remodel a home to make it sell more quickly. I am working hard on accepting that some burdens are just not mine to bear. The scars and physical pain that I feel now are a great reminder!



No comments: