Sunday, July 26, 2009

Bragging a Bit about....

For those of you who have known me a long time... You know that I was formerly sister #2 of sisters3designs.... I was the one who made the outrageously cute (pat my own back here) embellished outfits that sold for fairly ridiculous amounts on ebay. It was a sad day when my own daughter refused to wear her painstakingly and lovingly sewn birthday girl overalls to her own second birthday party and opted to wear a store bought dress and feather boa. So, when we decided on Tuesday that Zoe should attend her first show riding western I dusted off the old sewing machine and whipped up this ensemble. Yes, the shirt was originally a stretch tee for me and the sleeves are old leggings, but I am pretty happy with the results!
Zoe and Cynder-Ella (sometimes known as the "Stinky Pony") rocked the blinged out look and took first place. Zoe also participated in the bizarre "showmanship" class where (as Zoe put it) you do the catwalk with your pony.... I think a bit more practice is in order and then I am sure the pair will be bringing home the blue ribbons in that class too.
The best part was not Zoe's excitement over her ribbon, it was her gracious attitude when she didn't get a ribbon at all in her second class. I am proud when my children achieve something, but more proud when they show grace in defeat. Too many times I see parents who teach their children to be sore losers. There is much struggle and defeat in life and a child who is afraid to try because they might lose, or who gives up because they have lost will wander a long, sad road in this lifetime. From my years teaching kid's riding lessons I think that losing a class gives you a more important lesson than winning one.
Zoe was a bit unsure of what her number was while she was in the second class. She milled about a bit with her pony before coming out the gate. She asked me what her number was and what place she had gotten in the class. I replied "dead last" with a smile and she shrugged and hugged her pony and said "I still love Cynder the best, and at least she didn't pee"! (two of the placing horses had chosen to take the opportunity to urinate while the judge was writing down the results) We both laughed! That was a BIG proud moment for me.







No comments: