Saturday, June 20, 2009

Destiny and Gluttony






Tonight we went to church services at Cornwall Church. Cornwall is a VERY large non-denominational Christian church in our town. Saturday night service has a pretty good Christian Rock band and the Minister is pretty charismatic and captivating.


Noah and Clepson are too old to go to the "Sunday School" and attended the regular service with the adults. Noah and Clepson sat with the older Cousins and Clepson kept asking David questions throughout the service. I walked over and gave David a "flick" on the head (you mom's know what I mean!) so that they would be silent and listen to the sermon. Noah seemed pretty captivated. The service focused on the story of Esther. The sermon was relating the choices we make to living up to our Destiny. I asked Noah what he thought about the sermon when we got in the car. He said that he didn't think it really applied to a 10 year old. I said I didn't agree, that the decisions he makes now will affect his future and the path he takes. He thought for a while and then said "yeah, like when you go and cut up your baby pictures". I had forgotten that I told him the story of when, in a fit of anger I cut up the baby photos my mother had of me! I have lived to regret that decision.


The sermon hit a little closer to home for me. I felt when I was a child that I had a responsibility to do something that would leave a positive impact on the world. I studied hard and went to school for many years to become a lawyer. Along the way I lost sight of the dreams I had of improving our world. I made decisions out of fear of failing and focused on personal gain and security. Over the last few days I have been thinking about how I could make a change that might send me on a different path. This journey of personal discovery has been largely due to seeing my life and the lives around me though Clepson's eyes. I am so thankful for the opportunity to grow as a person. I don't yet have a fully formed plan, but I feel a push to move towards living a life that has a bit more meaning.


On a completely more humorous note, after church we decided to go to the big buffet restaurant. Sarah asked if I thought it might be a bit much for Clepson. I thought he would do fine. All of the preteen and teen boys in our big group ate plate after plate of food. Chicken, Fish, Pork, Beef and Shrimp.... Pizza, Rolls, Fries, Salad. Clepson ate FIVE FULL PLATES of food. Then he hit the dessert buffet. He came back with TWO vanilla ice cream cones. All I could think was "do I need to run into Target and buy a BUCKET in case he blows up in my new car?" I just kept saying "Clepson, you may have all you want to eat, but please don't make yourself SICK!" I must say Clepson (and Noah too!) got their $5.00 worth of food and MUCH MORE.


After dinner we walked around for about an hour before I would allow the kids in my car. We arrived home without any mishaps and are looking forward to making Terry breakfast in bed in the morning.

No comments: