Friday, June 26, 2009

Finally we have Pizza and the Doctor does a Home Visit

Today started out fairly uneventfully. Upon waking, Clepson had some eye pain and we dosed him up on his pain medicine and I gave him a bag of frozen corn to hold over his eye. This helped a great deal and by noon he was able to open his eye much wider and was feeling pretty comfortable. I decided to try switching him off the big pain drugs and onto Tylenol during the day. At noon I gave him some Tylenol and left him watching a "Pirates of the Caribbean" movie fest! I was getting a migraine, so I went upstairs to take a nap and left him with instructions to have Zoe come get me if he needed anything.

A couple hours later (sheesh, that was a serious nap, but headache is gone!) Zoe came up to get me. She said, Clepson wants you..... I came down expecting him to need some food, water, something minor.... and he said "it is coming out".... Yikes, the conformer (plastic shield over his new "eye ball" was sliding out of the bottom of his eye. I washed my hands and put some antibiotic ointment on it and tried to slide it back in.... NO LUCK. I called Dr. Ford and he gave me additional instructions and said to call him back if I couldn't get it in. NO LUCK. So, back on the phone with Dr. Ford who actually left his office early to get a smaller conformer at the Surgery Center and came over to put it in for us!

Dr. Ford pushed a bit harder than I had and was able to get the new conformer in Clepson's eye. This was, of course, a bit painful. Not five minutes after Dr. Ford left he called to make sure that Clepson was ok and apologised for hurting him. He is the kindest man and seemed genuinely disturbed that he had made Clepson cry. All I could think was WOW! To not only donate his skills for the surgery, but to actively care about his patients feelings is so rare and wonderful.

Dr. Ford and his wife are friends of mine. They are very good people who have suffered great difficulties in their own lives recently. For him to take time and make sure that Clepson has the very best care possible is wonderful to me.




2 comments:

Unknown said...

YO CLEPSON
I JUST READ ABOUT THE LITTLE PROBLEM
YOU HAD TODAY IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU HAVE A VERY CARING AND WONDERFUL DOCTOR DUDE WE HAVE PROVERBS HERE IN THE USA LIKE THEY DO IN HAITI ONE OF OUR PROVERBS IS "WHEN THE GOING GETS TOUGH THE TOUGH GET GOING"
I KNOW THAT YOU ARE ONE TOUGH YOUNG MAN AND WITH GOD'S HELP YOU CAN GO THROUGH A WHOLE LOT OF YUCKY STUFF

YOU ARE DOING A FANTASTIC JOB CLEPSON WE ARE REALLY PROUD OF YOU REMEMBER TO HANG TOUGH!!!!!

PASTOR RANDY & ROBERTA

Ali Workentin said...

Dear Clepson:

I too had my left eye removed due to an injury when I was 10. I actually had my eye removed when I was 16 when I couldn't stand the pain anymore.

I live out in Birch Bay and would love to meet you. If it would work out, have Nina send me an email.

Take care. Alice W.