Wednesday, June 17, 2009

The Nanna is Coming, The Nanna is Coming....


It is that exciting and stressful time of year... My mother, known widely as Nanna, is coming for her annual visit. Nanna is delightful, Nanna is the favorite of all of her children, Nanna is the favorite of all of her GRAND children, BUT...... Nanna can be a bit bossy. Point if fact, two years ago the Nanna told me I needed to MULCH MY FLOWER BEDS and STAIN MY DECK. Last year, I just avoided the fact that we had been to busy or lax to get these chores done by seeing Nanna at my Sister Sarah's house (www.ourhaitianjourney.blogspot.com). Of course, my Sis, mother of 14, has not trouble keeping on top of her house and yard! I am determined this year to have the deck stained and the beds mulched! I have in fact been running myself RAGGED trying to get the extra work done! Add to this two part time jobs, end of school activities and Clepson's doctors' appointments and you get a cranky Nina.

Yesterday I decided a new policy. If I AM WORKING, THE KIDS SHOULD BE TOO! Zoe hopped right in to help me outside (she is my little gardener), the boys remained inside and were in charge of general pick up and cleaning the bathroom they use which had begun to smell a bit like a urinal. The boys did a fairly good job cleaning, but the bathroom was still stinky. I pulled out the cleaning products and gave a tutorial on scrubbing the toilet and floor. How Noah has missed out on this fun chore in the last 11 years is beyond me! Clepson is now a certified toilet scrubbing champ!

Today was a long work day. Clepson came with me on several horse training jobs and we got home just as Noah and Zoe got off the bus. We had a snack and then I was back out side painting and putting the first coat of blue paint on the deck. I had warned the kids and Terry NOT TO LET THE DOGS OUT. Terry somehow forgot and opened the door and my sweet Kiwi dog came running across the fresh paint. I spoke some seriously foul words only to see Terry holding the phone out to me----YIKES! I said I couldn't talk right now and Terry then failed to find out who was on the line so I could call back and apologise! Zoe caught Kiwi and sent him in through he window to Clepson who washed off his paws. Of course we now have tiny pawprints across the deck and blue pawprints on our fancy stone patio! ARGH! I am sure I will see the humor someday.....

No comments: