Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Walk in the Park or When we LOST Clepson!


Much paperwork, networking and prayer has gotten us to the point of bringing Clepson to the U.S. for this surgery that will change his life. Today Clepson spent the morning at my sister Sarah's house (http://www.ourhaitianjourney.blogspot.com/) . I know that Clepson has been lonely when my kids are at school from 8-4 every day. I brought Sarah's 10 yr. old son Dom home to keep Clepson company this afternoon and tomorrow while the kids are in school. Sarah has been homeschooling her children this year and Dom is almost finished with all of his curriculum, so he will work on math tomorrow while Clepson works on math and french.

Everything was going well today. The boys helped me clean the car and I was working in the gardens when Dom asked if they could ride bikes in the spectacular, LARGE park behind our house. This park has MILES of trails, a HUGE waterfall and pond and river. It is a fun place to play, but we have MANY rules to keep the kids safe while they are there. Our town is a safe place to live but I have seen too much Oprah and like them to always stick together when they are out of my sight. I also asked Dom to keep on our side of the creek, which only gave the boys a 1/2 mile loop to ride the bikes on and they would be within yelling distance if there were any issues or I wanted them home. About 15 minutes went by and Dom came riding up on his bike. He asked if Clepson had returned home and my heart DROPPED!


The answer to that was a big NO and I began to pray as Dom and I searched the park for Clepson. Clepson had wanted to ride ahead of Dom (who is VERY little for his age, more like a 6 yr. old than a 10 yr. old in size) and Dom had told him the rule was "stick together" at all times. Clepson may have misunderstood, or may have thought Dom was joking, or may have thought this "little" kid didn't know what the rules were, but he took off on the bike without Dom.


The fifteen minutes we searched seemed like HOURS. I kept thinking, why didn't I make Clepson memorize our phone number and address! Did Clepson know our last name? How would he find his way home?


Dom found Clepson who was promptly sent for a shower and bed (at 3:30 in the afternoon). I gave him some time (he took a nap) and then sat and told him "what would I tell Mommie Sherry" (http://www.loveachild.com/) if I lost her Clepson! I explained the dangers of being alone in the park and that he had scared me. I also told him his punishment was no different than I would treat Noah and Zoe and that I wanted to treat him as my own son while he was with us.


All is well now and Clepson will hopefully limit his adventures to the healing sort that he came for!

No comments: